|Natural Cures Vitamins and Minerals Zinc|
Zinc is found in traces in all tissues, except the bones, teeth, and pancreas which have slightly more amount of zinc. A normal adult contains 1.4-2.5 gm of zinc. Zinc level for adults in plasma or serum is 0.1/100 ml, and in whole blood it is 0.7mg/100 ml.
It is a component of vital enzyme carbonic anhydrase, and other enzymes like several dehydrogenises (alcohol, glutamics, and certain pyridine nucleotide) and pancreatic carboxypeptidase’s. It exists in the body mostly in combination with other constituents.
• It is an integral and essential element of insulin molecule. It easily forms a compound with insulin, and thus prolongs insulin action. As pancreas is rich in zinc, it helps storage of insulin in the pancreas.
• It promotes growth and sexual maturity, improves immune system and hastens healing of wounds.
• It also helps digestion of protein.
• It is an ideal remedy for fatigue.
• It is also needed to transport Vitamin A to the retina.
Natural Sources of Zinc
Sources of zinc are whole wheat, breakfast cereals, nuts, legumes, animal food, like crabs, sardines, oysters, lean meat, eggs, cheese, and fish.
Daily Requirement of Zinc
The RDA (recommended daily requirement) of 3 mg for infants, 10 mg for children, and 10-15 mg for adults is suggested. Most human diet provides these requirements. Growing children, pregnant and lactating women need more.
• The deficiency of zinc can cause loss of appetite and taste, alopecia, skin lesions, reduced growth, and dysfunction of reproductive system.
• Its deficiency also leads to hypogonadism, anemia, delayed genital maturation and hepatomegaly.
• Acute zinc efficiency results in mental apathy, diarrhoea, moist eczema, and dermatitis especially around the mouth.
Zinc in Excess
• Excess intake of zinc can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and damage to the kidneys.
• Too much of zinc can also cause loss of iron and copper in the body.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.