|Natural Cure Vitamins and Minerals Vitamin B9 Supplements|
Vitamin B9 Supplements
Vitamin B9 or Folic Acid, also called Folacin and Folate plays important role in the synthesis of the nucleic acids (which constitute the chromosomes). It is also needed for the normal development of blood cells.
Folic acid occurs in food in two forms: free folates and bound folates. The total folates represent both the groups. In man, free folate is rapidly absorbed; primarily form the proximal part of small intestine. The availability of bound folate is uncertain.
Folic acid gets destroyed with overcooking and thus creates deficiency in our body. It undergoes fast destruction on heating in neutral and alkaline medium.
• It is essential for the synthesis of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) that carries hereditary patterns.
• Its supplementation during pregnancy improves birth weight, and reduces the chances of small for-dates of infants.
• It helps reduce heart disease too and colon cancer.
• It also improves lactation.
• It takes part in the formation and maturation of the red cells.
• Along wit Vitamin B-12 it helps in the synthesis of nucleic acid.
Natural Sources of Folic Acid
Sources of folic acid are liver, meat, dairy products, eggs, milk, fruits, kidney, cauliflower, leafy vegetables and cereals.
Daily Requirement of Folic Acid
The RDA is 100 mcg for adults. The RDA needs to the double during pregnancy. The requirement is very high in conditions of fast cell multiplication, like growing children, pregnancy, infections haemolytic anaemias, and neoplastic disorders.
Folic Acid Deficiency
• Its deficiency causes malnourishment.
• Its deficiency results in megaloblastic anaemia, gastrointestinal disorders, diarrhoea, glossitis, and cheilosis.
• Its high deficiency affects fertility.
• Its deficiency may also lead to loss of libido in males.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.