|Natural Cures Vitamins and Minerals Iodine Supplements|
Iodine is am important trace element for healthy thyroid gland, which kills harmful germs, makes up it own hormone (thyroxin) and rebuilds energy. It is required for the synthesis of the thyroxin hormones-thyroxin and triodothyronine. It is present in the secretions of thyroid gland.
The iodine metabolism is controlled by thyroid. Iodine is an essential life. The total quantity in body is 25 mg, and half of it is in the thyroid as thyroglobulin, a complex of protein and iodine. About 30% is removed by the thyroid gland for the synthesis of the thyroid hormone, thyroxin, and the rest is excreted by the kidneys. Its concentration in thyroid gland is very high as compared to that in muscles and blood.
• It reduces tension, keeps body and mind calm, and keeps skin, hair, teeth, nail etc in healthy condition and form.
• It helps in the chemical synthesis of cholesterol, thus checking its build up in arteries.
• It also burn extra fat in the body.
• It increases the heart rate as well as urinary calcium excretion.
Natural Sources of Iodine
Iodine is available in traces in water, food, common salts. Iodine found in sea-water is 0.2 mg per litre. Sea weeds and spongy shells are very rich in Iodine. The best sources are sea fish, ser salt, green vegetables and leaves like spinach grown on iodine rich soil. The common sources are milk, meat, and cereals. About 90% of the Iodine intake is obtained from the food consumed, and the remainder from the water. Common salt fortified with small quantities of sodium or potassium iodate is now compulsorily made available in the market as Iodised Salt to check goitre.
Daily Requirement of Iodine
The RDA (recommended daily allowance) is 80 mcg for children and 150 mcg for adults. The requirement for growing children, pregnant and lactating women is more.
• Iodine deficiency leads to enlargement of thyroid gland known as simple goitre, and swelling of feet or toes, enlarged glands, excessive hunger, neuralgic pains in the heart etc.
• Its deficiency may also causes deafness, and poor learning.
• Iodine deficiency or total loss will affect our mental and physical activity, obesity, and hardening of blood vessels.
• A dietary lack of iodine may cause anemia, tiredness, laziness, loss of interest in sex, a slow pulse, low blood pressure, and high blood cholesterol/triglyceride leading to heart disease.
• In children lack of iodine may lead to mental retardation, enlarged thyroid gland, defective speech, and clumsy gait is created. His skin is rough, and hair sparse, with brittle nails, bad teeth, and anaemic.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.